Sunday 9 September 2007

Lewis Gordon Pugh aka 'Ice Bear'

Not only is Lewis Gordon Pugh an Incredible Human, but he already has a cool superhero tag.

Born on 5th December 1959, Ice Bear has swam in all 5 oceans of the world and broken a number of records, including the world record for the most northern and southern long distance swim at the North and South Poles. By day he is Polar explorer, pioneer swimmer and public speaker. He was born in England, but raised in South Africa and fights the cause against climate change.

His unique super-power comes in the form of 'anticipatory thermo-genesis', he is able to elevate his core body temperature in anticipation of swimming in freezing waters:

"I am acclimatized to the cold having spent many years in cold places. As soon as I enter cold water my body shunts all my warm blood to my core to protect my vital organs. It then generates incredible heat. However, before I even enter the water, I am able to elevate my core body temperature by as much as 1.4°C (2.5°F). This phenomenon, now known as "anticipatory thermogenises", has to our knowledge not been noted in any other human being." - Lewis Pugh, Official Website

Ice Bear is the first featured here of many Incredible Humans to come.

Wikipedia Profile
Official Website

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!